Saturday, September 22, 2007

Becoming a Sperm Donor

So as I said in one of my recent blog about a year ago. I was going to share my experience of becoming a sperm donor. Well, I never actually become one. I was totally shot down. I wasn't surprised though. They say they have high standards and basically their main criteria is that not all of your sperm dies when they test freeze it and I guess mine did so no donating for me. However, I'll tell you what occurs up the the rejection point.
I live in the Philly metro area so my closest donor bank is at the University of Pennsylvania. It must be new because I used to work there and knew nothing of it. If I had I would've gone o na lunch break because getting there and parking is kind of a hassle. Their hours are very short. They are around 8 to 3 Monday to Thursday and a little shorter on Friday. Luckily I have a half day on Fridays so I had time to drive down. To start off you must send in an application.Then they send you a form to fill out for detailed medical info. Then they ask to make an appointment with you. This is all done through Fairfax Cryobank at 123donate.com. You go in. They explain what you will do. They give you a cup and a little questionnaire. You must fill the cup, then fill out the questionnaire. The questionnaire basically asks how long since your last ejaculation(they prefer you "rest" at least 72 hours before donation day). YOu Then put the sample with questionnaire in an incubator and just leave with no more contact with anyone. Then they will call or email you to tell you have not met their criteria. They say they give you 3 tries to get a good sample and 2 must be acceptable but I guess mine was so poor they turned me down after only one.
Anyway, if you male and between the ages of 18 and 3o-something you should give it a try. You get money and you secure your genes for future generations? What more cna you ask for? Okay well let's not get into that.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home