Friday, July 21, 2006

Review: 32" Soyo TV DYLT3260

Welcome to my short review of my brand new Soyo LCD tv!! In short, I love this tv! Now for the details. I purchased this tv off of pcconnection.com, which I was referred to from dealnews.com The tv cost $690 and has a $90-something dollar rebate, which I haven't gotten around to sending out yet. I thought this was a great deal. Now as a disclaimer my eyes aren't that great (20/200 corrected. I'm getting INTACS next friday. More on this in another post). So buying a $3000 sony somthing or other won't do me much good. I don't care how sharp it is. unless I'm sitting in right in front of the tv. I really don't care. Anyway this tv looks pretty good, on or off. I live in a rural area , so I had this tv sent to my parents' house in suburbia. It's a good thing too because the size of the box is HUGE. I wasn't expecting it to be that big. i thought it would be smaller for such a slim tv,but no. My dad said he could use it to ship one of his bikes to Italy this summer, and a bike comfortably fits inside(with the front wheel off). SO, back to the tv. I took it out and I wanted to try it at my parents'. One, to see if i wanted to keep it , and two to see what it looked like with standard cable because I don't have that. I hooked it up to standar cable and adequate is the word I would use to describe it. I was sitting directly in front of it though,but when i sat on the couch it looked a lot better. I decided to keep it because part of the reason I wanted to buy it is because I wanted to use it as a computer screen for my mac mini.
So I took it home and set it up. It looks great(maybe I'll post pictures, maybe not we'll see). I was really only going to use it as a computer screen and to watch DVDs. I wasn't really going to try to watch tv because I only have OTA(not hd and this tv does not have HD built-in ,be aware) and that didn't look too hot on my old 27" CRT TV. So first I tried to hook-up my mac mini to my tv via a vga cable. there are all types of connectors on the back of this tv if you wish to look up the specs. he vga hook-up did not work. Bottom-line, I think a vga to soyo hook with a vga mac mini and a soyo tv will NEVER work. I tried everything I could think of. I researched for a few days , messed with resolution then settled on buying a DVI- HDMI cable because luckily there is an HDMI port on the Soyo, as well. Now, these calbles can be very expensive. the cheapest i found in store, at walmart. is $25. I looked on ebay, whic I never do, and I found one for $0.01 with shipping + insurance coming to $9. Needless to say, I will be shopping on ebay for certain items a lot more now. When that cable came I hooked it up and it worked instantly. there might be a little more info about this hook-up in my next post of soyo mac mini hook-up. So that's the computer portion. Onto DVDs.
The first dvd I watched on this tv was LOTR: The Fellowship of the Ring. When I first put this on and watched it, I became very happy with the tv, this was before the computer hook-up. It looked really greta, much better than the standard cable, and OTA which I've tried. Since then I've been rewatching all my DVDs. they are so clear and it's in widescreen although it is a stretched widescreen. The tv has options to change aspect tp 4:3 so it might look more normal but I really don't evenb notice so I just keep it at 16:9. I have yet to hook-up mu PS2,btu iwill add to this post when I do.
If you haven't figured out. I am very happy with this tv. It does everything I expected it to do and the quality is actually pretty good. Now don't expect to be blown away if you do purchase this tv and just think that you can always make this your bedroom tv when you save enough money for that awesome 60 " 1080p HD OLED TV. That's what I'm gonna do, I just have to wait 10 years for it to come out. So go ahead , take the plunge!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home